If you are facing any issue in playing video please use Firefox browser.
Till now we have Installed Wordpress to our Hosting & therefore now we will see that how we can access the backend of our Wordpress website.
- To access the Admin panel of our Wordpress site we will add '/wp-admin' to the URL of our registered domain.
- After that we will login & enter to the dashboard section of our site.
- We can see different Menu options like Posts, Media, Pages, Comments, WPForms, Appearances, Plugins, Users, Tools & etc...
Now we will learn to install Theme to our Wordpress website :
- We can install and activate any Theme according to our requirement for the website by going to the Appearance section from the dashboard & selecting the correct Theme.
After Installing a Wordpress Theme we will go and add New 'About Us' Page & edit in it by adding some details about ourselves. We can add different kind of blocks like Paragraph, Heading, Lists, Quote, Code, Classic, Pullquote, Table, etc... to our page & then Publish it. We can delete any unwanted pages by moving them into the trash from admin panel.
Permalinks are one of the way of showing the URL of our website to our visitors. Here we can set the URL of any page/post according to our requirement. We have different types of Permalinks like plain, day and name, month and name, numerics, post name, & atlast Custom structure.
We can also change the site Title and Tagline of our Website directly from the dashboard. So like this we have number of features/options available in Wordpress Admin panel which we can explore by our own slowly slowly as we practise.
Now if we want to change the home page display by one of our featured static post, we will go to settings section in the dashboard & there check mark 'Static page' option and select the page or post which we want to display.
Plugins are the section of our wordpress website which would help him in completely enhancing the way we use our website. Some basic plugins are already attached with the wordpress hosting or theme like :
'Akismet Anti-Spam' which is use protect our blog from spamming & keeps our site protected while we are inactive.
'All-in-One WP Migration' plugin tool which is used to import or export blog content with a single click.
'LiteSpeed Cache' which is use for high-performance page caching & for site optimization.
& also 'WPForms Lite'
Now we will add one of the SEO plugin to our blog by going to Add Plugins section & then search for 'Yoast SEO'. As soon as we find it we will install it by clicking on 'Install Now' button & then activate it. This plugin is use to improve our wordpress SEO and we can write in better way our Content & have fully optimized site.
Now we will also add 'Head, Foot and Post Injections' named plugin to our site which let us add HTML coding to the header & footer section of our blog.
After that we will go to SEO and we will now set up the Yoast SEO plugin which we installed in our website. For that we will go to the dashboard section of the Yoast plugin & then click on 'Configuration wizard!'. Then after we need to specify that is our site under construction or already active. We will choose 'My site is live and ready to be indexed'. After that we will select the site type as 'A blog'. Then after we will check mark Yes for search engine visibility for Pages & Posts both. Similarly we will answer all the other remaining questions & close the wizard. We have now successfully configured Yoast SEO plugin to our wordpress website.
Now we will see that how we can change the Theme of our Wordpress site :
- For that we will go to Appearances section & choose Theme there.
- After that we will click on Add New Theme option & see number of popular, latest, & favourite themes available. We will install a Wordpress Theme named 'BusinessFocus' and then activate it.
Now suppose we want to change the logo or we want to change the font style or anything in our activated theme, we call it as Theme Customization. So for that we will go to Appearances section from our dashboard and select 'Customize' option in it. As we open it, on the left side we will see different types of option available which are usually about background image, colours, menus, header image, widgets, site identity & many more. And on the right side, we will be shown the preview of our website. We can change the Title & tagline of our website from Site Identity option. Similarly like this we can use other options like color, header, menus for different functionalities & change our required things without any type of coding.
Now we will see that which are other DIY website builder available in Market other then Wordpress (not a DIY builder). The benefits of such DIY website builder are :
- Zero code website building tool
- Self hosted
- No technical knowledge needed
- Easy to manage
We will go to 'wix.com' & checkout their available pricing plans. We can see that thus tool is Freemium type ie. also free & premium both. To work in Wix we will :
- Sign up with our Google or FB account first
- After that we will click on 'Create New Site' button
- We will be now asked some series of questions which we need to answer & atlast Wix itself will recommend us some Themes on the basis of our answering.
- After that we will select one template and start editing in it. We will be provided with number of option in Wix theme editor section like Menus & Pages, Background, Add, Theme Manager, Media, & etc...
- We can simply double click on any text and add our own text with it's required pixel size and color we want according to our need.
- Similarly we can access other options available in it and change the different segments of our website.
- We can add free Contact Us Form in this website builder & also our Social Media accounts link which can lead to our FB/Instagram/Twitter page.
- After we have completed all of our customization, we will click on Publish button & hence our site is now ready & live.
- We will be provided an URL of the website builder itself but if we want to connect our owned domain to this website, we need to upgrade Wix which can cost us something.
So like this we can make our wordpress website and also website using wix.com which is a DIY website builder.
Have a friend to whom you would want to share this course?