Introduction to Booting & it's Sources
In today's video we are going to learn that what is Booting process in Computer Hardware.
Booting is a process or set of operations that loads and starts the operating system, starting from the point when the user switches on the Power button.
Following are the three major Sources of Booting :
- USB Drive (pendrive)
- Network (using server operating system)
For downloading any type of Operating System we will follow the below mentioned simple steps :
• Go to Google & search for 'intitile index of windows 7' or 'intitile index of windows 8' or 'intitile index of windows 10' according to our requirement.
• We'll than select the appropriate site from the search results.
• And after that we will select the Edition of the windows we are going to download.
• As soon as we click on the edition which we want, the downloading will get started.
• So this is how we can easily download any Operating System from Google Search Engine.
By following the similar method we can download any type of software for our computer system at absolute no cost.
So we have downloaded and Operating System for our computer, now we will learn that how to convert it into a boot file ie. we will make it bootable. So for that purpose we will install PowerISO software.
Now we'll open PowerISO and see that we can add & extract anything from CD and also we can copy or make image file from CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc.
Also, we can compress CD/DVD files here.
- Now for booting process we will first select the Operating System which we have downloaded as our Image file. This is the process of burning CD & making it bootable.
- Now, if we want to make our pendrive bootable we will go to Tools section in PowerISO and select 'Create bootable USB drive' option.
- After that we will select the device/pendrive we want to have as our destination USB drive & than follow the same method of selecting our Operating System file as required Image file.
- Make sure to have pendrive of atleast 8GB capacity. 4GB pendrives won't work for this type of tasks.
- After all this we will click on Start button & hence the process will get started. We will also be shown one disclaimer that 'all the data in USB drive will be overwritten. do you still want to continue?'. We'll click on OK and continue.
- We will be shown the progress of the whole process and time elapsed & remaining in the Progress column given below.
- Setting CD/DVD as the Primary Boot Device :
• Insert a Bootable Compact Disc (CD) or Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) into the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.
• Press the DEL key to enter Basic input/output System (BIOS) setup menu.
• In the BIOS Setup Utility screen select the tab boot and then select boot Device Priority. This is the order in which the computer's hardware checks the devices to load an Operating System.
• Set the Boot device as CD/DVD, then Save the changes and Exit. The Computer will restart now.
• A message "Press any key to boot form CD" appears, press any key on the keyboard.
• Some bootable CDs will start automatically.
• Insert the bootable CD/DVD & then restart your computer.
- Setting CD/DVD as the Primary Boot Device (MAC) :
• Once you hear the beep sound, hold down the Option key. The Option key will take the user to a menu that allows the user to select what device the user would like to boot from, including CD/DVD drive. If the user presses the C key it will skip this menu and automatically select the CD/DVD drive as the boot device.
• The user may have to hold the key for a few moments. Wait for the menu to appear or for the boot sequence to start.
• Booting form CD/DVD is slower than booting from the hard drive, so don't be alarmed if things loads slowly.
- Booting a Computer using Pendrive :
• Download or Copy the desired operating system in ISO format.
• Download universal USB Installer Software program and save it in the computer.
• Insert and Format the USB drive.
- What is Network Booting ?
• Network Booting or LAN booting is a process which allows a computer to start up and load an operating system or other program directly form the network without any locally attached storage device, like a floppy, CDROM, USB or harddisk.
Share a personalized message with your friends.