How does BIOS works?
Now, we'll study about POST power on Self Test. It will basically check the system of our device while booting that is it working accurately or not.
POST Power on Self Test is the first thing which functions while we boot our device. Before displaying Operating System POST Power functionality works.
- Provide power to the motherboard-speaker
- This allows error-code signals to be broadcast by the mobo-speaker when errors are detected
- Test if components on the motherboard are receiving power and functioning as intended
• Keys according to their functions :
- Press DEL to run Setup
- Press F8 for BRS POPUP
- Press ALT FZ to execute ASUS EZ Flash 2 DDR3-1333Mz.
Now, we will learn about User Interface of BIOS. There is a curses based user interface that allows :
- Selection of a boot device
- Setting of a boot device
- Setting the system clock
- Configuring hardware (includes enabling or disabling some devices like Mouse, Keyboard, etc...)
- Setting passwords for booting, & the UI, etc...
- Also shows access to some system config information: memory size, disk size, etc...
Following are the things which BIOS helps us to understand about our device properly :
- Memory count
- Search for the OS boot device
- Optical drive
- USB drive
- Network device
- Hard Disk Drive
What is the use of partition table in BIOS is given below stepwise :
- The PT contains information about 4 primary partitions.
- Only one of the 4 primary partitions is designated as the active partition
- The active partition contains the OS for booting.
- One of the 4 primary partitions can be designated as the extended partition.
- The extended partition can be divided into additional logical partitions.
UEFI is today's generation Basic Input Output System. The old BIOS methodology was different and hard to understand.
In the beginning there was the BIOS, but now UEFI with improved functionality has taken over.
- Intel creates the Extensible Firmware Interface in 1998
- UEFI now supersedes EFI
- UEFI can run on-top-of the traditional BIOS or in place of the BIOS.
- BIOS is often used to describe UEFI
What is GPT ? The problem which BIOS used to have was of Partition, but now in UEFI it has not that much tricky methods.
Globally Unique Identifier - This is required to allow a file system to exceed 2TB.
- The 2TB limit is a result of limitations of the original BR partition table
- Each partition has only 16 bytes of storage in the partition table
Below mentioned are some of the advantages of UEFI over BIOS :
- Support for HDD partition larger than 2 TB
- Support more than 4 partition a drive.
- Fast Booting.
- Efficient Power and System Management.
- Robust Reliability and fault management.
- Backward Compatibility
- Mimics BIOS-Legacy Mode
Share a personalized message with your friends.